Self Care & Mind-Body
- Positive affirmations rewrite negative narrative & reprogram your subconscious mind through practicing positive thoughts.
- Trauma lives in our bodies as well as our minds; physical movement helps to heal the mind and body
- Mindful breathing and meditation help manage innate responses
- Prayer provides hope
- Expressive Arts like painting, music, sewing can help when our brains have split or disassociated due to trauma
- Click for more details and links
Apps & Podcasts
- Calm – Daily Calm meditations, sleep stories, and calm masterclasses.
- Headspace – Headspace is your guide to mindfulness in just a few minutes a day.
- Ten Percent Happier Meditation – Guided meditations, videos, talks, and sleep content.
- Insight Timer – Guided meditations and talks led by experts in meditation, science, psychology and more.
- Hallow – It’s like Headspace or Calm but specifically Catholic!
- Pray as You Go – offers audio prayers, Imaginative Contemplation Exercises, an audio Rosary & Stations of the Cross, and an audio Examen.
- Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World – Jimmy Akin’s fascinating mystery in every one of these episodes, weighing the evidence and assessing each one from the perspectives of faith and reason. Topics include Bigfoot, ghosts, Area 51, and numerous mysteries from the Bible.
- The Quarantine PlaysDo not miss this novel radio play project presented by the Catholic theater group The Merry Beggars. This show was developed as a creative outlet for Catholic artists during the coronavirus pandemic
- CNA Newsroom – Catholic News Agency’s flagship, award-winning podcast CNA Newsroom is a storytelling podcast, informed by the latest Catholic news.
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations
- Ten Percent Happier– Dan Harris is the author of the bestselling book, “10% Happier”
- Unlocking Us– Conversations w/ Brene Brown about living with vulnerability and courage.
- The Body Keeps the Score, Bessel Van Der Kolk, M.D.
- The Deepest Well, Dr. Nadine Burke Harris
- Thriving After Trauma: Stories of Living and Healing, Shari Botwin
- A Kids Book about Sexual Abuse, Evelyn Yang
- Hiking My Feelings: Stepping into the Healing Power of Nature, Sydney Williams
- Soul Light for the Dark Night, Patrick Fleming, Sue Lauber Fleming, and Vicki Schmidt
Ask For Help
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
- 24-hour Phone Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
- 24-hour Online Hotline
- Center for Healing
- National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA)
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center
- Catholic Charities of Kansas City-St. Joseph
- Diocese Victim Assistance Coordinator – Whitney True-Francis, 816.392.0011
- Diocese Ombudsman – Joe Crayon, 816.816.812.2500
- Report Bishop Abuse